Life has a way of molding and shaping both the good and the bad in a person. For me, as I now am in the middle years of life, I look back and remember certain events, people, or things that have shaped Julie. Each “lesson learned” listed below is the result of a specific battle or circumstance in my life thus far. Now, I just have to figure out a way to convey them to my children in such a way that they will understand withOUT experiencing the events that led to the lessons…
…for as some say “Wisdom is best learned by heeding warnings from others, rather than learning from experience.”
1. Stay committed to my marriage, even when it is hardest.
2. Never let a man hit me more than once.
3. Never let my children be hit by a man….even once.
4. Never leave my kids when they need me most.
5. Don’t drink. Don’t smoke. Don’t do drugs.
6. Say “I love you” as often as possible.
7. Let my family know that I have a relationship with the Lord so that they don’t have to worry where I went when I go.
8. Follow the speed limits — it’s not worth the risk.
9. Don’t always believe everything I hear.
10. Success is not measured in riches, big houses, titles or degrees.
11. God is the Provider….It’s all His anyway.
12. “Stuff” is just “stuff”.
13. Sometimes I have to remove myself to gain perspective.
14. The older I get, the less I know.
15. The older I get, the more I realize I depend on God.
16. The older I get, the more I realize how much God knows.
17. A Christian eventually begins to view life through God’s eyes. Priorities change dramatically when that happens.
18. Kids need Grandparents.
19. Kids need love.
20. Kids need to play and be kids as long as possible.
21. Trust and honesty is really, really, really, really, really important.
22. Sometimes I think too much. It helps to just. not. think.
23. Depression is best handled by laying it all in God’s hands.
24. Plan a little, but live alot.
25. Sometimes the “t’s” don’t have to be crossed, and the “i’s” don’t have to be dotted. It’s ok to missspell a word occasionally too.
26. Friends can be family.
27. I love to be loved too.
28. Some things are for me NOT to know.
29. Don’t have high expectations of others. Sometimes it’s best not to have any expectations at all.
30. To be continued as life goes on….